Bangor University

Find out what support is available at your university or college.

1. Disability Services

We offer a service for all disabled students whether full-time or part-time, undergraduate or postgraduate. We consider each person’s requirements on an individual basis and work within the framework of the University’s confidentiality policy. We do need to ask for some form of documentary evidence for certain arrangements, for example, adjustments to examinations, parking permits.

Here are some examples of what we can do for you:

  • Provide information about disability, including specific learning differences or mental health issues, and the services and support which might be available.
  • Offer personal and academic support and guidance.
  • Advise on strategies to make studying and everyday tasks more manageable.
  • In conjunction with the Bangor ACCESS Centre we can help you to apply for finance through Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) from your local education authority or other funding provider.
  • For students not eligible for DSA funding carry out study needs assessments to identify reasonable adjustments (necessary arrangements).
  • Provide support workers, for example Mentors, Practical Assistants, Sighted Guides etc.
  • Assist with the organisation of specific examination requirements
  • Arrange for the provision of BSL interpretation.
  • Arrange for additional library provision.
  • Arrange for a Personal Learning Support Plan (PLSP) to ensure necessary arrangements (reasonable adjustments) are in place.
  • Keep in touch through meetings, newsletters, e-mail and phone.
  • Refer students to other professionals who can help, for example, Counselling Service or Community Mental Health Team.
  • Work closely with your School’s Disability Tutors

Find out more about disability services >

2. Mental Health Advisers

We provide information about mental health issues, and the services and support which might be available. We assess mental health needs and help to avert or manage crisis situations. We also:

  • Signpost students to other services, when appropriate, such as GP, Student Counselling Service, or Community Mental Health Team.
  • Help to establish academic and other support needs and work with departments and other service providers to put a learning support plan in place.
  • Advise on strategies to make studying more manageable, depending upon the particular support needs and the barriers faced by individual students.
  • Assist students who may be eligible to apply for Disabled Students Allowance from their funding body, and arrange for funded support to be put in place.
  • We offer professional mental health support, but it is not our role to provide ongoing therapy or counselling.]

Contact the mental health advisers by email >

3. Counselling Service

Counsellors are trained to listen non-judgementally to your worries and problems, to help you understand better what is happening and to then support you in finding ways to improve your situation. Sometimes students find that just talking things through helps get difficulties into perspective. Counselling is available for all students who are experiencing some difficulty or problem in their life and who feel that they cannot for the moment solve this difficulty on their own.

There are many different types of problems for which students seek our help. They can be long-standing problems, such as family difficulties, or past abuse and recent problems to do with academic issues or homesickness and difficult settling in to student life. There can be worries over alcohol or drug use and difficulties with relationships and sexual identity. Some students come to see us with worries over depression, anxiety and other mental health issues and with difficulties in dealing with physical illness.

Contact the counselling service by email >